Reports: Defense Secretary Mattis to order 800 troops to US-Mexico border


Defense Secretary James Mattis is expected to sign an order sending up to 800 troops to the U.S.-Mexico border amid President Trump’s ongoing focus on a migrant caravan traveling to the United States, according to multiple reports.

Citing unidentified U.S. officials, reports said Mattis could sign the order as soon as Thursday to send hundreds of U.S. service members to help with logistical support such as providing tents and fencing.

The Pentagon, though, previously said it had received no official request from the White House to send more troops to the border.

Since last week, Trump has said he plans to bring in the military to reinforce the southern border as a group of thousands of migrants makes it from Central America.

The caravan is currently traversing Mexico, and Trump administration officials have vowed not to allow the group to cross into the United States.

On Thursday morning, Trump tweeted that he is “bringing out the military for this National Emergency.”

“They will be stopped!” he added.

In April, Trump directed Mattis to send 4,000 National Guardsmen to the U.S.-Mexico border amid frustrations at the lack of progress on his proposed wall.

About 2,100 Guardsmen are currently providing technical assistance at the border.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.