Sarah Huckabee Sanders: 'CNN needs to send somebody' else if Acosta can't be an adult


White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said late Friday that her team is working on establishing "standard practices" for reporters for future press briefings, adding that "if certain reporters like [CNN's] Jim Acosta can’t be adults, then CNN needs to send somebody in there who can be."

“We’ll work with our team on that and certainly moving into Thanksgiving holiday we’ll see how long that process takes, but I think there are some just standard practices," Sanders said on Fox News.

"I think the very basic minimum is that if certain reporters like Jim Acosta can’t be adults, then CNN needs to send somebody in there who can be," she added.

Sanders's remarks came in an interview conducted by her father, Mike Huckabee, a former Fox News host who was filling in for Sean Hannity.

Her comments came hours after a federal judge ordered the Trump administration to reinstate press credentials for Acosta after they were revoked last week following a contentious press conference with President Trump.

U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly, an appointee of Trump, granted CNN’s request to restore Acosta's hard press pass on Friday. While Kelly said Acosta's Fifth Amendment rights to due process were violated, he did not issue a ruling on whether the reporter's First Amendment rights were violated.

Trump told Fox's Chris Wallace in an interview set to air on "Fox News Sunday" that if Acosta "misbehaves" at a future press conference "we'll throw him out or we'll stop the news conference."

"Yeah, its fine, I mean it’s not a big deal," Trump told Wallace of the judge's order Friday. "What they said, though, is that we have to create rules and regulations for conduct etc. etc. We’re doing that, we're going to write them up right now. It’s not a big deal and if he misbehaves, we’ll throw him out or we’ll stop the news conference."

Trump called Acosta "a terrible person" and said CNN should be "ashamed" for allowing the reporter to work with the network during the contentious Nov. 7 press conference, where Acosta held on to the microphone to keep asking Trump questions after a White House intern attempted to take it away.

Acosta later applauded the ruling on Friday and thanked reporters and press organizations for their support leading up to the decision.

“Let’s go back to work,” he said.

Acosta was promoted to chief White House correspondent in January. Since then, he has been one of the network's most visible figures outside the network, appearing on late night programs such as "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" on CBS, "Jimmy Kimmel Live" on ABC and the fictional political drama "House of Cards" on Netflix.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.