Multiple people wounded after 'terror-related' stabbing at London Bridge

Police in London responded to what they described as a "terror-related" stabbing Friday that left multiple people injured and a suspect dead near London Bridge.

A BBC reporter said he witnessed a group of men engaged in a fight on the bridge. When police arrived, shots were then fired, he said.

Police said on Twitter that they had detained a man in connection with the stabbing, saying he had been shot by officers. Police later confirmed that the male suspect died at the scene.


"It has been declared a terrorist incident," Neil Basu, assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service, said during a news conference later in the day.

The police official said that the suspect had a device strapped to his body, describing it as a "hoax explosive device." He declined to offer a motive for the stabbing.

Police also did not immediately have information on the condition of those wounded. On Twitter, police said "a number of people" were injured but it was unclear exactly how many.

The Guardian reported that five people have been injured.

President Trump was briefed on the attack while in Florida on Friday and "is monitoring the situation closely," the White House said in a statement.

"The United States strongly condemns all horrific acts of violence on innocent people, and we pledge our full support to our Ally, the United Kingdom," it added.

London Metropolitan Police and the City of London Police responded to the situation. London Ambulance Service said it also had crews on the scene, describing it as a "major incident" on Twitter.

A video posted to social media appeared to show three officers with weapons drawn surrounding two figures grappling on the road. An officer then fired on a man who remained on the ground.

Chief James Waters, head of counterterrorism for the NYPD, wrote on Twitter that officials in New York were "closely monitoring" the situation in London.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.